Board Bits for May
• Grasslands School Board Trustees have made some key appointments for the district. Scott
Brandt, who was Deputy Superintendant, has been hired to take over the position of Superintendant
as of August.
• The Board has also hired two assistant Superintendants. Board Chair Vic Budz said, “We wanted
people who are team players, who are committed to building
strong relationships, and who can effectively support the development, articulation, and execution
of a clear shared vision. We believe we have two such persons in Sean Beaton and Rhae-Ann Holoien.
Beaton is well known in the district while Holoien comes with a wealth of education experience in
Saskatchewan school divisions and the Alberta Ministry of Education.”
• May is a busy month in the Grasslands School District. Education Week is May 1st to 5th, with
the theme this year, “Learning is a Journey.” Most of the schools have activities and events
planned for Education Week. Look at the school
websites for details.
• Another highlight of Education Week is the Family Literacy Evening planned for Thursday, May
4th, from 4:00 to 8:00 pm, at the Flex Hall.
• The Grasslands School Board Trustees wish all the best to the many students in the district
who will be celebrating high school graduation in May and June. Rosemary School Graduation is
Friday, May 5th. Duchess Graduation is Saturday, May 13thth. Bassano School Graduation is Saturday,
May 27th. That same day is the Brooks Composite High School Graduation. Sunrise School Graduation
is on Friday, June 2nd .
• The Board of Trustees and staff are putting together the budget for the next school year. The
budget has to be approved by the board by the end of May and sent to Alberta Education for
• The date and time of all Grasslands School Board meetings are posted on Grasslands’ website,
along with the agenda for upcoming meetings and minutes from previous meetings.